Friday, September 21, 2012

Beagle survives Burlington-Bristol Bridge fall

Beagle at home after 70-foot jump

Alexis Lorenz holds her 7-year-old beagle named Brandi
 on Wednesday.  The dog got loose from her harness and leaped off
 of the Burlington Bristol Bridge and survived.
 / DOUGLAS BOVITT/COURIER-POST
BURLINGTON TWP. — Look! Up in the sky! It’s a bird. It’s a plane. It’s … Super Beagle?

Well, Brandi the beagle can’t exactly leap tall buildings in a single bound, but she did recently jump some 70 feet off the Burlington-Bristol Bridge suffering only minor bruising.

The 7-year-old canine went AWOL Friday night during her regular walk on the Burlington Riverfront Promenade.

Owner Alexis Lorenz said her husband, Robert, left to walk their two beagles around 8 p.m. An hour later he returned — sans Brandi.

“I was in my bathrobe. He wanted me to get dressed. I said. ‘Let’s go,’ ” Lorenz said. “He couldn’t drive fast enough down there.”

Lorenz said they searched the promenade area by foot and by car for hours. While searching near Pearl Street, they were told Burlington County Bridge police had spotted Brandi.

“The police had their searchlights out, and that’s when one of the officers told me she jumped from the bridge,” Lorenz said.

While it’s clear Brandi is a tough pup, she has her Kryptonite.

Lorenz said the rescue beagle went through some type of traumatic experience before being adopted by the Burlington Township family five years ago.

The dog’s past experiences have made her very nervous around unfamiliar faces.

Bridge officer Rob Bittner said he saw Brandi walking up the bridge toward the Pennsylvania side during his normal patrol Friday night.

“I get a fourth of the way up the bridge and I see this dog in the road and cars are moving all around it,” said Bittner. “I activated my lights to slow traffic and I pretty much followed the dog because I didn’t want to scare her by chasing after her.”

Bittner said Brandi was moving fine until she got to the top of the bridge where a steel grate caused her paws to get trapped. At that time, motorists who had gotten out of their cars were also attempting to grab the dog, he said.

“There was a car ahead loaded with young kids that couldn’t have been more then 17 or 20 years old,” said Bittner. “They busted open the door and a young boy tried to grab the dog.”

STORY CONTINUED HERE

CREDIT: http://www.courierpostonline.com

LittleGifts Beagle Leash Key HookLittleGifts Beagle Leash Key Hook
Buy new: $9.99
Usually ships in 24 hours
Beagle Dishwasher MagnetBeagle Dishwasher Magnet
Buy new: $5.99
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
Imagine This Bone Car Magnet, I Love My Beagle, 2-Inch by 7-InchImagine This Bone Car Magnet, I Love My Beagle, 2-Inch by 7-Inch
Buy new: $5.93
Usually ships in 24 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment