Saturday, December 3, 2011

PJ's the new casual dress?


Last night I was walking into the local CVS and passed not one but two women dressed like they were leaving a sleep lab. And to make matters worse they were flannel baggies with kiddie cartoon character's all over them.

So today I am driving my daughter to the dentist and on one street there is a woman mowing her lawn in pink flannel pajamas with snowmen all over them. I turn the corner and on the next street there's a woman playing with her inflatable Christmas ornaments on the front lawn in her flannels. Have pajama's become the new sweat pants? Did these people just wake up, or are they going to bed soon? Maybe they suffer from sleep apnea and fall asleep frequently. Dammit people put something decent on. If I wanted to see Doris Day in her PJ's I would watch the "Pajama Game"!

I can understand if it is the middle of the night and someone has a craving for ice cream, and just throws on some pajamas to go to Walmart or something. Or, if someone has a medical emergency, and these clothes were the closest things that they had to throw on after getting out of bed, (if they don't sleep in pajamas that is). But in the middle of the day, in public? This is just extremely lazy dressing, and that is exactly what people think of them when they are out and about outside. Is it so hard to just go the extra mile and throw on a pair of pants and a top?

I know many people leave the gym in sweats or yoga pants and quickly run a few errands before going home to shower and change. We all get that. Chiseling time to workout and capitalizing on the 24hourse we all have makes wearing workout clothes acceptable when pressed for time. But let’s make this perfectly clear…sweats and yoga attire are not pajamas. Yes, we may sleep in our sweats but rolling out of bed and wearing what you slept in out in public is not an approved etiquette-friendly decision.

It’s the public areas, where you are walking around in something others changed out of because they slept in them, that you are compromising your image and their comfort. If you are going to get out of bed and change into clean, unslept in pajamas, that may be more hygienic. But unless you wear a sign that says “These are clean, the slept in ones I changed out of”, people are still going to question your motivation for wearing something that’s supposed to be worn in bed.

I like to sleep in the buff, but you don't see me out and about wearing that now do ya? Just saying!

Well,I think I will get into my "pajama's" and call it a day my eyes are sore.

No comments:

Post a Comment